2016-2017 season of DCTV

Now that the season is over and I have rewatched early episodes I give my thoughts on the season.

Supergirl

Early episodes had me thinking that Cadmus was going to be the big bad of season two but the second half of the season introduced Mon-el's parents and Rhea being the big bad of the season. Overall I think Rhea being the big bad would have been more successful if she was more established in the series like Cadmus. Next seasons villain Reign should be interesting to see get her backstory and history.

Having an actual Superman come on the show benefitted the show as well as the ntroduction of Miss Martian as a way to develop J'onn's character. Mon-el was a great addition as well and I am interested to see if and how he can return to National City. I believe Cadmus will come back to play a role in the season as well as Lena Luthor since the stress is going to be a season regular.

Flash

Flashpoint was an interesting concept and I do not mind that it really only lasted an episode but the consequences were still felt. It was interesting to see the little changes to the universe that occurred because of Barry's actions including the big bad of the season Savitar. The season was overall great but not the best season of the flash and the finale although suspenseful and action packed didn't hit the mark for me. I am interested to see how Barry gets out of the speed force.

Julian was a great addition to the cast and our introduction to killer frost in episode seven was great and was great to see Caitlin kind of develop and struggle with this burden. Tracy brand joining the cast a little later was great as well as I see her becoming the new "Caitlin" or scientist on team flash. DeVoe should be an intereting villain for season four and I am interested to see a non speedster.

Legends of Tomorrow

Legends of tomorrow is just a fun show and it is always interesting to see the different time periods that they get to travel too. I think this season has had some really strong episodes such as the episode when they visit the civil war and when they go to the moon. I also appreciate the little history accurate things they put in and Easter eggs such as katana sword when they visited feudal Japan.

The JSA was an interesting thing to bring in and a contrast to the legends. I really enjoy Amaya and Nate on the team as well but I feel like Amaya will need to leave at some point next season if not at the end of next season. The finale didn't give us many clues as to who or what the team will be up against next season but the addition of Isis should be interesting.

Arrow

Arrow in my opinion had a stellar season overall and had the best finale of the four shows. Prometheus as the villain was great especially with the history and the backstory that he has with Oliver. He was always ahead and countered everything Oliver did to defeat him including messing with Oliver's team and family. Everything lead up to visiting the island again and the fate of the team unknown as we see it blow up from explosives Prometheus has rigged.

Going back to the team I think Rene, Dinah, and Curtis have been excellent additions to the show and am excited to see them again next season and to develop their characters more. We don't know who the main villain is going to be but something tells me helix will be back for an arc with felicity. Additionally we need to know who vigilante is and Black Siren will also be around.

Crossovers

Invasion! - Invasion was a great crossover and I loved seeing everyone together, including Kara from Earth-38, and the reveal of the changes Barry has made to everyone. This of course is the annual crossover and it has gotten bigger and bigger every year with the addition of shows. I see next season crossover  being bigger and better and Supergirl's involvement will be more substantial compared to this year. Maybe Earth-1's superheroes will get to meet Superman and Martian Manhunter and maybe even Miss Martian.

Duet - The Supergirl/Flash crossover was great and I enjoyed the songs that were included. These two shows are more hopeful and optimistic compared to shows like arrow and they work well together. There were mixed feelings of the crossover so although I think the Supergirl/Flash crossover will continue annually I don't think they will be so eager to do another musical episode.


The shows will start filming in the next coming weeks and SDCC is coming up as well so I am sure we will hear alot more about the upcoming seasons then. I am also looking forward to Black Lightning in the Spring.

Comments